Friday 21 February 2014

Nando's

This is a fun place to come with a group of friends.  The food is great and it won't break your wallet, and the place has a really cool atmosphere.
I've heard several Youtubers mention this restaurant in their vlogs and I'm always weirdly interested in the phases they go through.  A lot of the Youtubers I follow are based in LA and have huge fan bases, but they seem a lot easier to relate to than the more traditional Hollywood crowd, which I guess is the reason why they're so influential in setting trends, at least in my mind.
Because of this, I felt really excited when a Nando's opened up in downtown Toronto at the beginning of this year.  Just the sight of the cheery signs and the glow through the windows breathe a bit of warmth into the frigid streets.  The restaurant serves Portuguese style grilled chicken seasoned with their signature Peri Peri spices.  Its concept is pretty simple, but unique.  You might compare it to the canonized Swiss Chalet, but the quality is so much better that they're on different levels.
You have to go up to the cashier to order, but the servers bring the food to your table when it's ready.  I was a little put off by having to stand in line to order, since the cashier is right by the entrance.  It's the middle of winter and each time the door was opened, I felt like a mini blizzard was lining up behind me.  Apart from that, the restaurant is surprisingly cozy, despite its size.  Artwork and designs by South African artists brighten up the room, making it a really fun place to hang out.
I've been twice so far and both times I've ordered the quarter chicken with a side. The bill came up $9.50 plus tax, which is very decent for a meal downtown.  The chicken was deliciously tender.  You can choose how spicy you want it, but (being a big baby) I always get plain.  Even so, the chicken wasn't bland it all.  It was really flavorful and both sides I've tried, the garlic mashed potatoes and the classic fries, have been awesome.  Their menu is satisfyingly diverse, so you don't just have to order chicken every time.  Their vegetarian options and dessert menu sound pretty tasty too.  I'm looking forward to going back and trying their frozen yogurt next time.

1 comment:

  1. I want to go here now, but maybe when it's warmer outside just i case there is a line.

    ReplyDelete